About Us

History of the Church of Christ the King

The Church of the Christ the King is a well known city land mark. It's central location at the heart of the community is undisputed, the evidence of the network of houses which have been built encircling it bears testimony to this. Opened on 29th October 1933, by Archbishop Byrne it was designed by Mr. Robinson, and built by Ftizgerald and Leonard at the Cost of £35,000.

It proudly boasts of its statue of Christ the King which was sculpted in Trieste. This statue was buried in the ground during the war but was later crated in sections and dispatched to Cabra. it finally arrived at its destination in the 1950's.

Also of historical significance are the candlesticks on the Main Altar. These were given to the parish following their use during the International Eucharistic Congress held in Dublin in 1932.

The historic building is a testimony to the highest skill of architecture, building and labour of the time. It continues to be a focal point for the local community who regard it as an important heritage, a link with the past, a vital part of the present life of the people, as well as a legacy for the future. It represents for them security, continuity, development and tradition. Its towering presence watching over the area has great significance in their lives and symbolising permanence, changes and challenges of today. In the case of the many elderly and those living alone it offers social, spiritual and pastoral support.

As an expression of their care and support they have sought over the years to contribute generously in as far as they have been able to the developments and changes required and in fact still strive to do so.

Please click on the Link below to read the address delivered by Rev. J.J. Flood P.P. at the offical opening of the Church of Christ the King on the 29th October 1933.

Address Delivered by Rev. J.J. Flood P.P Arran Quay, on the occasion of the opening of the Church of Christ the King, at Cabra, on Sunday October 29th, 1933.


ch 9